Monday, May 19, 2008

Submission is hard for me. I find it hard to follow a God that desires for me to submit to a set of laws. I find it rather hard in all actuality to submit to the God of America, the God of greed and wealth. I find it hard to submit to the list of chores my wife leaves me some times. I find it hard to be human. I find it hard to fit in anywhere, especially in the church. I find it easy to keep my mouth shut, especially to injustice. I find it, oh so easy, to watch Jesus downtown starve, while I get upset over dinner. I find it easy to allow those around me to walk over me while I never speak my true feelings because I respect their God giving dignity.Why is it offensive to the Christian Community when one may think a bit different....

Why is it offensive when someone does not believe in hell?

Why is it offensive when one is passionate about respecting the dignity of the homosexual community?

Why is it offensive when one finds fault in the “just war theory”????????????????????

My family was hit by a bus. They came up from southern Ohio for my little sisters MA Graduation. Aunt Lisa-Uncle Ted- Darby-Grandma. All hit by a RTA bus. All of them, still filled with the compassion they carried within them before the accident. I actually think they may have more now. My aunt –uncle-grandmother-have never quit believing in me. When they have all the reason in the world to, they cease to. If it were not for them driving me up route 23 every Sunday to listen to Steve my life would have been so radically different. It is in that church I came to know the Peasant Revolutionary, my wife, and freedom…….thanks.

2 comments:

T5Guy said...

Great Post! Missed you at Remedy. You would have totally dug it!

dk said...

Hey my name is Dan and we have a lot in common. Dorothy Day changed my life and I also love Wendell Berry and Thomas Merton. I am a friend of JD Hortel's.

I work in Athens, OH now at a place called Good Works. Are you in Cleveland, do you work at a Catholic Worker house? I ran into JD and he told me to contact you...

Anyways, I enjoyed the post and look forward to future thoughts!